Friday, September 21, 2007

Rubi-con and Dancing Mackerel

The other day I was out with a friend and while we were walking I noticed this advert. Now I’m not in the business of advertising products and I’m glad this ain’t the BBC or I’m sure I’d be censured for bringing this up. Anyway I took a careful look at what the key line states and thought to myself – what on earth does it mean 63% more people prefer? Prefer this to what? More people than what?

As I considered this sleight of hand in marketing – remember the percentage looks appealing, that’s quite some statistic – I got rather annoyed that there was no reference to anything else. What makes it all the more tragic was that actually I rather enjoy the brand’s mango drink – quality stuff. Yet this advert sucks. It’s such a sneaky little manipulative piece of advertising that I thought of some alternative marketing, i.e. ‘89% more people prefer Da Man CD’s blog’ or perchance ‘97% more people prefer baked beans’. You cannot sue me for that can you – my source could be anyone I choose it to be!!

Yet the moral of the story that I consoled myself with is back to the thing of truth and integrity. Some sucker’s going to read that advert and actually let it slip into their sub-conscious and fall for their cunning trap. My heart’s desire is that I’m not duplicitous in my language and deceptively manipulative – and believe me being a man who loves words the challenge is to remain transparent and honest in my use of them. The prayer is that through this the sort of life I invite people to live with me is one of wholeness birthed out of reality not fable or fabrication.

I’ve been meaning to post this picture up for over two weeks now. I’ll explain more about my friend Charles in a future entry. For the time being suffice to say on visiting him we chose to have a bite to eat here of all places. Quality stuff! What a name to call your establishment. It was just too good an opportunity to miss – so I didn’t! Thanks for that memory Charles. I hope to share more pleasant memories of my time with a dear friend like Charles soon.

For His Name’s Sake
Shalom
da man cd

No comments: