Saturday, September 26, 2009

On This Special Day

I first met Andy Kind in 2007. He was developing his craft as a stand-up comedian and he also happened to be a Christian as well. My boss at work linked us together with the thought that perhaps Andy could do some workshops. It turned out to be one of the best things that’s happened in the time that I’ve been at the YMCA. Not only did Andy do the workshops, he also put on monthly trips to the Frog and Bucket up in Manchester on a free night where they did the Beat the Frog competition.


These acts of kindness I was to discover later were very much like the offer Jesus gives to invite those who won’t be able to pay you back to banquets and feasts. Andy in his way was giving people who would never pay him back an insight into some much loved experiences and occasions. Typical of Andy, though, he never acknowledged even this as he was working out his Christianity slowly but surely. He definitely didn’t set himself up as the standard by which all believers should be met. In that sense Andy typified the quality of humility – not thinking of himself higher than he ought. This is quite a feat for Andy …


Over time working on various projects and get-togethers, Andy turned out to be a really good friend. I enjoyed spending time in his company. You know how it is with a comedian you can easily fall into the expectation that everything they say must be funny, or you have to be funny to show him how you can be just as good as him, or maybe in the hope that he’ll say those magical words “That’s really funny, I think I’ll use that in my next set”. Getting over this, though, I felt Andy and I were able to relate on a level that went beyond one-liners and got to the nitty-gritty of life’s issues. It wasn’t about things being overbearing and sombre, but serious things were addressed honestly.


Andy kindly let me have a look at his world and what he does and how he does it. He was very good to me and my family in one way or another. I recall spending a lot of precious moments with Andy and he has been tremendous for me in understanding more about love, grace, compassion, fallibility and what it is to walk by faith and not by sight. Andy is a dear friend for whom I give God much thanks just for the time we’ve shared together.


Now that may read as somewhat anti-climactic as if it’s come to a tragic end, and I don’t want to give that impression at all. I do hope our friendship will continue to grow and blossom. It’s just that he’s moved to Manchester now and more appropriately for the benefit of this particular time, after waiting eagerly Andy has found the one with whom he’d like to spend the rest of his life. Today my friend and brother in Christ gets married. Now that’s good news. That’s great news. So I thought I’d use the opportunity to celebrate with this blog and again reaffirm my love and admiration for Andy knowing that as a dear brother I’ll continue to pray with and for him as he’s committed into the institution! Hopefully the experiences will be beautiful and bring out the best of Christ in life, even in the hardship and challenges that await as well as the brilliant times of intimacy.


In honour of the occasion it was only fitting to dedicate the song below to the newlyweds.



For His Name's Sake

Shalom

dmcd

No comments: