Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Time and Timelessness


One of the things that I’ve been reminded about recently is that wisdom is timeless. I’ve got to confess, when it comes to reading, I’m not usually the quickest to go to older books or the classics. I’ll tend to look out for contemporary books written in a time in which I can relate, and the more current the better. This is particularly the case when it comes to biographies and autobiographies. If the subject is not dead yet, or hasn’t finished their career, I’m less likely to pick up the book because it’s not modern enough yet to capture all their life. I don’t look at older books written years and years ago – it’s either the latest release in hardback or an attractive looking paperback. As a result I miss out on the timeless wisdom noted in the ages by writers past, and that’s not a good thing.

Therefore I’m looking to appreciate a few more of the ‘classics’ and brush up a bit on my history. C.S. Lewis, for example, is a guy I want to get into – his non-fiction work in particular. Due to recent studies as well my eye has been attracted to the fundamental shift that took place in the Reformation era, so eventually I might dive into some stuff from Luther, Calvin and those other long-dead heroes of the era. The irony is, I shouldn’t really have a problem doing this, because the book that I’ve read and enjoyed the most in my life – the Bible – is seriously dated. Ho hum.

I write all that to write this that I remain tremendously encouraged by the devotionals that I come across every day that are evidently written years and years ago, yet still have a profound impact on my thinking and attitude. The one today about the wise use of time is such an example, and I pray that you’re similarly blessed by this as I was.

So much more stuff is lined up on this blog, I could bust with the excitement, but I’m learning to be diligent, persistent, patient and vigilant in the output here. Among other developments in me life, for example, I’ve started work at the YMCA and there are so many opportunities and possibilities there that I really do need the wisdom of God to make wise use of my time and maximise for His glory so that great things can happen there. More on this in a future blog.

In the meantime, fear not, the late, late, late World Cup review is on its way, then hopefully soon will be the preview for the coming Premiership season. Some interesting book reviews on the way as well from the works of such opposing forces as Philip Yancey and Terry Butcher!! See, there’s a lot going on …

4 His Name’s Sake
Shalom
da man cd
--------------------

August 1 - Our Daily Walk by F.B. Meyer

THE WISE USE OF TIME

"Look therefore carefully how ye walk, not as unwise, but as wise redeeming the time, because the days are evil."-- Eph_5:15-16 (R.V.).

GOD DESIRES to give each life its full development. Of course, there are exceptions; for instance, in some cases the lessons and discipline of life are crowded into a very brief space of time, and the soul is summoned to the Presence-chamber of eternity. But, on the whole, each human life is intended to touch all the notes of life's organ. There is an appointed time when it shall be born or die, shall weep or laugh, shall get or lose, shall have halcyon peace or storm cast skies. These times have been fixed for you in God's plan; do not try and anticipate them, or force the pace, but wait thou the Lord's leisure. In due time all will work out for thy good and for His glory. Say to Him" "All my times are in Thy hand."

Times and seasons succeed one another very quickly. Milton, in his glorious sonnet on the Flight of Time, bids her call on the leaden-stepping hours, referring to the swing of the pendulum; and, indeed, as we look back on our past life it will seem as though each experience was only for a moment, and then had vanished, never to return. We are reminded of the cobbler, who, as he sat in his kitchen, thought that the pendulum of his clock, when it swing to the left, said For ever; and to the right, Where? For ever--where? For ever--where? He got up and stopped it, but found that, although he had stopped the questioner, he had not answered the question. Nor could he find rest until, on his knees, he had been able to face the question of the Eternal, and reply to it.

We must be on the alert to meet the demand of every hour. "Mine hour is not yet come," said our Lord. He waited patiently until He heard the hours strike in heaven, and then drawing the strength appropriate to its demand, He went forth to meet it. Each time and season is kept by the Father in His own hand. He opens and none shuts; He shuts and none opens. But in that same hand are the needed supplies of wisdom, grace, and power. As the time, so is the strength. No time of sighing, trial, temptation, or bereavement is without its special and adapted supplies. Take what is needed from His hand, and go forth to play the part for which the hour calls.

PRAYER

Oh, that Thou wouldst bless us indeed and enlarge our coasts of useful service. Let Thine hand be with us, and keep us from all evil that would grieve Thee. AMEN.

No comments: