Monday, October 01, 2007

Believe In The Best

So Tottenham concede another four goals, eh? I don’t care if they get back from 4-1 down it is still shocking that a team with aspirations for the top four are playing so shockingly.

Anyhow today’s image that made me think is Sky’s latest efforts to woo people to purchase their product. It’s rather intriguing how they’ve subtly hinted at the alternatives without going whole hog and stating their case for being the best thing going. Remember, it’s only believing in better, not believing in best. I often believe however that the enemy of the best is the good – is the better. Sometimes, and I think this is a particular disease of the middle class set of people of which I’d consider myself to be a part, we accept the better without really pushing for the best just because it’s better. As in it’s better than what I was used to, it’s better than the majority of alternatives and as its better then when I get it I’ll be better. Only problem with that is surely the pursuit of the best is something worth going for not in order to show a superiority complex but to completely rest in the best. Surely.

Yet another really neat trick is that if some things can be shifted away from the absolutes into relatives that it’s just cool for me and I don’t have to worry about objective standards. So it’s better for me. That’s all that matters, right?

For His Name’s Sake
Shalom
da man cd

No comments: