Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Moving and Remaining

I think I’ve made it quite clear that moving sucks. Today has seen the majority of heavy goods moved from the old to the new. By today I include this late hour at which there’s still some bedding and drawer material to come.

Something happened in the moving process this evening that reminded me of so much of what makes moving what it is. There’s this huge box that we’re precariously carrying upstairs on the orders of the lady of the house and one false move means that the CD cabinet that was perched at the top of the box came tumbling down and with it came the clattering smash of tens of CD’s and the end of some CD cases. I couldn’t be bothered to check on the status of the CD collection – at this hour of night methodical precise note taking is not high up on the priority list. Thankfully I had long since done without CD’s anyway choosing just to download the tracks straight onto the hard-drive of the computer and listen to them from there. Yet it was still sad looking at the shattered pieces and broken cases that represented serious cash investments in their contents.

I looked on and thought to myself imagine all that money spent on something that could so easily be wiped away in an accident. All that effort, all those memories gone just like that. Then it got me thinking that life similarly is that precious and that fragile, so that however robust it may appear and durable there is an appointed time when one minute it’s there and the next it returns to the dust from which it came. So what’s the point, I thought. Well, the point of it all is to remind me of investing in things of eternal value. That doesn’t of course mean stop buying music CD’s. (Although funnily enough I haven’t bought a CD in years!) It does mean that whatever attachment and devotion is given to whatever we purchase or invest in has to be seriously considered in the light of eternity. If it is just a cheap, simple thing of little worth, then there is little point in investing in it. Yet if it is of value, if it is worth its weight in something far more costly than gold, then surely it is worth our pursuit, it is worth treasuring and holding dear.

In some cases such is its worth that careful attention to it will see that it has the capacity to last the test of time – and by test, I really do mean test. Further diligent attention will go on to show that not only will it last but it will continue to give more and more worth to ourselves and joy. Then from there other investments pale into insignificance in the light of that which is of eternal value.

I remember the time when I thought I’d lost almost ten years of hard work when my computer broke down with a possibly irreparable hard-drive. I remember the feeling of almost despair I had and then remembering Jesus. I recall a steady growing determination that said that actually knowing Jesus despite that significant loss, was of greater importance that made the loss shown in a different light. I have had times when I’ve almost lost my family, I’ve lost my job (on more than one occasion), I’ve lost my possibility of completing academic assignments, I’ve almost lost my life. In all this that which is of eternal value – Jesus Christ Himself – has remained ever present, ever loving, ever caring, ever gracious, ever patient, ever encouraging. It thus makes sense to have that desire to know Him more and find contentment, peace, identity, joy and stability in Him – even in trying times of transition.

For His Name's Sake
Shalom
dmcd

No comments: