Friday, August 28, 2009

Getting To Know Me Part 3

Yeah I mentioned someone calling me a friend recently and also made the scandalous suggestion that retirement only happens at death? Now I promised more and this is the penultimate in the series so check these babies out!


26. What are you listening to now?

Don Carson and John Piper talking about pastoral ministry and being a scholar. That’s just the kind of guy I am.


27. What is a day on the calendar you are looking forward to?

To be honest the next significant date in the calendar is June 15th 2010. I don’t make a fuss over my birthday and although my daughters’ birthdays are important, I tend to celebrate their birth every time I get to look at them. The wedding anniversary is the most important date only in as much as a reminder of the date of the most significant responsibility I have knowingly taken. The following of Jesus is one that covers a number of dates, but the biggest human relational engagement undertaken in my lifetime is the biggie. Other than that – whatever comes I’m happy to celebrate.


28. What was the last thing you ate?

Get this. White rice generously sprinkled with grated carrots and sweet corn on which is amassed a substantial amount of veggie chilli and kidney beans with some tomatoes quarterly sliced. In a big ol’ plate. What a way to finish her cooking time with us as a family. My mother shall be missed. Now she’s gone I’ll have to get back in the habit of cooking for myself. Ho hum – keep praying for me.


29. Do you wish on stars?

Not in any shape or form.


30. If you were a footballer, what position would you play?

You know I cannot believe I don’t have an electronic note of this. Still, here goes. For ages now I thought to myself that the way I continue the legacy of my dad is to play in the same position he would have played had he been a footballer. I think in as much as I am useful as a holding midfielder or even as a sweeper, the best position for me on a football pitch would be right back. (No not that joke of being right back in the dressing room.) I guess I fit here because it’s one of those unassuming roles that doesn’t get much attention but is useful and functional in supporting moves from the back forward as well as ensuring the tricky attacks of the left winger can be thwarted by keeping focussed on retaining possession and allowing the progressive players to progress and should the attacking midfielder require overlapping I can provide that. There’s more to that than just a football point, but you’ll have to wait to get the full meaning.


31. How is the weather right now?

Dark and cold, but that’s usually the case in the night.


32. Last person you spoke to on the phone?

I think it was my dear friend Joyce. No hold on it’s my dear friend Deon. That however was a brief chat. I don’t have many long chats with people on the phone. No reason why, I guess I don’t make the time for that sort of thing as I’d prefer to converse face to face whenever I can.


33. Favourite soft drink?

It fluctuates from time to time but undoubtedly always in the running is ginger beer. What a beverage that is and what a gift it is to humanity!


34. Favourite restaurant?

Now this is a toughie cos we’re regulars at Venus which does a great deal on chips and veggie burger with water (all for £2.50). Edging it however because of the ability to eat indoors on tables and chairs is the Seafarer. I love going there with my friend(s) to enjoy their delicacies.


35. Favourite toy as a child?

Remember the remote control car? Ah how short lived it was, but that’s the favourite one I can recall, although I’m sure there was a teddy bear that grabbed my affections.


36. Summer or winter?

Winter. Love having to hibernate and keep in from the cold and regard the outside world from the warmth of indoors with people and reading and writing. Love the short days and the long nights. I absolutely love it.


37. Chocolate or Vanilla?

Tell me you’re not seriously asking that question. Do you know that for vanilla to even be in the same sentence is a privilege for vanilla? Chocolate is undoubtedly one of my favourite foods to digest. I am to cut down from time to time, but a lot of the time I enjoy feeding on it whether in chocolate bar form or in chocolate ice-cream form. I’ve never been that much into chocolate tea, but other than that I be a chocolate man! Love it!


Nearly done now – one more post on this bad boy and we are done. Don’t miss it!


For His Name's Sake

Shalom

dmcd

No comments: