Thursday, August 27, 2009

Will He Find Faith?

I could have left the blogging to that this evening, but there was a bugging issue that I made a note of, that I thought would be well leaving as a note on a blog like this.


You ever have those times when you’re reading a scripture and you’re asking the question, ‘Why is God asking that question?’


"Hear what the unrighteous judge says. And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" (Luke 18:6-8)


I’d like to hear what Jesus is meaning by this rather awkward question. For here He is talking about persistent prayer and how the God of all justice will speedily execute justice on behalf of those He has chosen. The issue is not the character of God, the issue is the character of those who claim to follow Him, those who claim to believe in Him and believe Him.


The immediate context would not suggest that Jesus has any desire to answer that question and leave it hanging there almost as a challenge to believers as to whether or not they will persist in prayer for the things of God.


The reason for this note in particular, is because during prayer this evening this song ‘These Are They’ popped up to put things in the larger perspective of why we do what we do. I then considered how our lives are measured by the standard of Christ – Old Testament being about the Jesus to come, Gospels being about the Jesus come and the rest of time being about the wait of the Jesus to come. In the light of that then, the issue for me as a believer is whether or not I’ll be in a position of eager expectation for His return.


Will I be about the business for which He’s called me – proclaiming and demonstrating the Kingdom come and will done on earth as the heavenly pattern dictates? Will I be passionate about seeing people dedicate their lives to the Lamb that takes away the sin of the world?


For His Name's Sake

Shalom

dmcd

No comments: